Wednesday, October 12, 2011

pin cushion...

about a week ago i thought my mind and body were playing tricks on me, i was getting the chills and then i'd have a fever of 102.  i didn't know if i was all there, i knew i for sure didn't have the strength and energy that i normally have and i was in pain.  the previous week billy had a cold, it was mostly congestion and he still has it a little bit.  i had been feeling off since that previous weekend so i figured i was just getting that same cold as well.  i hadn't been sick in 10 years.

last wednesday when i woke up i forced myself to believe that i wasn't as sick as i thought i was and i drug myself out of bed.  my sister had spent the day before with cullen and i, i thought if i was getting a cold and i was so tired i could just sleep off what i had.  she watched cullen while i napped through the day.  back to weds morning, i attempted to pump without much luck. i think i got an ounce or two when i can normally pump 7-8.  i then went and made half a bagel and forced myself to eat it and then i laid on the floor with cullen and tried to entertain him.  i just didn't have much energy, thankfully he doesn't crawl yet.  i propped him up on his boppy and laid next to him on our foam floor mat and we watched some mickey mouse and both fell asleep.  i woke up feeling like i had a tiny bit more energy so i decided i should at least get cullen out for a walk.  i bathed him and then we walked to the park to swing.  once we were at the park i sat in the swing with my baby on my lap just thinking how i wanted to feel like my normal self wondering if i had the energy to push cullen all the way home.  we made it, thankfully. i spent the rest of the night on the couch and was in bed by 8:30.

thursday morning i woke up exhausted and barely had strength to pick up cullen.  i remember getting to the stairs and taking the first one and thinking wow my legs are so weak i better sit down.  i sat down and slid down the stairs with cullen on my lap.  when we got downstairs i laid cullen on his playmat like i always do and i sat next to him and cried.  i felt helpless.  i collected myself and went to the kitchen to wash bottles and clean up.  i checked my phone and i had 2 missed calls from billy.  i called him and he told me i was to get ready and go to the doctor, he had made an appt for me.  i think my adrenaline kicked in at that point, i knew i had to get ready and get cullen ready and get out the door.  i went to see the doctor that i saw while pregnant with cullen, he also delivered cullen and is a family friend.  he thought i just had a UTI and gave me antibiotics. cullen and i spent the rest of the afternoon playing on the couch together, i had no energy.  i had one pill at 6 when billy got home, ate dinner and went to bed.

friday morning i woke up even worse, pain in my stomach and sides, no energy and totally exhausted.  slid down the stairs again with cullen on my lap. i knew i couldn't spend the day by myself with cullen, i had no energy.  thankfully my mom had an at home office day and she came over and helped me, well she did everything.  i had given up on pumping by this day because i had nothing.  thankfully i had a stock pile of milk in the freezer.  my dad came over in the evening so they could both be with me until billy got home.  i had told billy during the day that i had been worse and he must have made a phone call to the doctor.  he came home around 7:30 that night and said we have to go get your appendix checked out.

friday night we went to urgent care where the tests began.  you know the drill temp, blood pressure, pulse, pee in a cup and giving blood.  doc came back and said well you're not pregnant (okay....) and there is definitely something brewing inside you, you're a sick girl.  he said my white blood cell count was extremely high and he knew it had to do with my kidneys.  next on the list was an ultrasound which didn't show much so i was off for a cat scan.  all of this happened over 6 hours, i had watched shrek 1 and 2, checked in on our sweet baby a few times (my parents and sis were over at our house taking care of him) and billy had run home to grab a few essentials for an over night hospital stay.  around 2 in the morning the doctor came in to tell me i had accute kidney failure and a kidney infection with cloudy fluid surrounding my kidneys.  this all came on from the UTI, i had no idea i had it (until thurs) and the infection quickly spread through my whole body, attacking my kidneys.  hence being sore and completely worn out.  the doc said he wanted me to go to the hospital so i could be monitored since my kidneys were shutting down.  turns out doctors orders can't always be fulfilled....the three surrounding hospitals were full. no beds!  billy and i were kind of thankful for this though, this meant we got to go home to our baby and we got to eat!  neither of us had eaten since noon that day and it was 2 in the morning now.   before i left i had to get an iv treatment of antibiotics.  the doctor told me i'd have to return to get 3 more treatments, getting an iv and giving blood. we got home friday (with our mcdonalds) around 3:30, ate and then cullen woke up ;)  we visited him a little and all went to bed.

saturday, sunday and monday i went to urgent care to have my treatments.  the nurses joked on saturday that i was 'their little pin cushion' because they had to prick my arm 9 times to get the iv in!  i was so dehydrated my veins were not cooperating.  now, i'm so pumped full of fluid it's crazy!  i gained over a pound a day the past few days and i ate a lot less than i normally do.  my milk has slowly came back in!  now i need to start another stock pile, just in case.  now, not only can i lift my own arms above my head,  i can lift our 22 pound culley above my head!! :)  i have my 'mom' strength and energy back!  so thankful!  i think my hubby is my guardian angel....i had been laying in bed on wednesday night praying.  i didn't tell billy to call anyone or do anything, he just did it on his own.  had he not i probably would have let things continue the way they were, i'm stubborn sometimes.

in the end, i'm thankful all is okay, we're just waiting on a call for my blood results for the while blood cell count and hopefully i get confirmation all is good.  i feel a million times better.  it was a whirlwind of a week....  i'm also so very thankful for my family, we'd be lost without them.  they took care of cullen a lot over the past few days.  and of course i appreciate and thank my hubby for taking the steps he did to take care of me and always being by my side.

now i'm sure many of you are thinking 'why didn't you go to the doctor sooner'.....and i didn't know if i wanted to share or not but i do not have health care insurance.  when i became a stay at home mom/business owner billy and i applied for our own family insurance policy.  well, billy and cullen got approved and i got DENIED because of an abnormal pap.  i know i have read on so many blogs in the past year about many of you have them as well, could you imagine if you got denied health insurance because of that?!  my doctor is going to help me try to appeal Medica denying me but as for all the treatments, ct scan and ultrasounds i had over 5 days we're going to be paying for all of it out of our own pocket.

 i am staying positive, i have my health and i'll never take it for granted.  i have a loving hubby, sweet baby, happy family, awesome support and i just love all the people i'm surrounded by....including all of you.  i could not believe how many of you reached out to me on twitter. thank you, thank you, thank!  i'm sure i missed some details in those 5 days, there was a lot of couch and floor time ;) and texts with sweet pattyann! thanks friend!

p.s. culley bear says hi ;) from the day at the park, swinging!

p.p.s. awesome deal going on!  
Join One Kings Lane. There's an instant $15 credit! that means you can get a $50 erin condren gift card for only $10!

38 comments:

ajs {of MN} said...

so glad you are OK! kidney failure- so happy you have billy to give you that push to take care of yourself. remember you need to take care of yourself too for baby cullen :) i had a major kidney infection back in 2002 and was in the hospital for 5 days- i was about to undergo a tube being put into my back to drain my kidneys and i would have had to drop out of my junior year of college for the rest of the year- it was a mystery as to why i was having all of these problems and then all of a sudden the day of surgery... i got better! i wouldn't have been taken care of properly without a friend being there for me to drive me to the hospital twice in the middle of the night. i was first sent home from the ER after given a shot and some pills... went right home and was in even MORE pain, went right back and thought i was going to die- for real... worst pain, it felt like my contractions when i was in labor but constant for 5 days! OYE- anyway, again glad you are ok, that is something that is SO not fun to deal with. xo

Shannon said...

I'm so glad you are okay! How scary! That sucks about the health insurance. You should look into AFLAC, it's another kind of insurance that gives you money if you're ever in the hospital/get hurt etc. (depending on the plan you get) so that can help offset medical costs and it isn't very expensive. I will be getting about $1500 from them when I have the baby and that will help me cover my health insurance deductible. Just a thought.

Mandy said...

How scary this must have all been for you guys! I'm so glad to hear you are doing better and I hope you're tests come back fine!

Cole said...

Oh, Annie!!! That's so scary! I'm glad you're ok and that Billy is so proactive in getting you in to see the doctor.

Until I get another job, I don't have health insurance either. I pray...and take vitamins every day that I don't get sick.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are okay. I can't imagine how scary that must've been for you! I'm glad you went into the doctor and then went back! That's just so scary! And I can't believe the insurance company denied you over something like that! That's so outrageous!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...so glad you are ok!! How scary...I do not have health insurance either and it scares the sh*t out of me. I am a very healthy person, but if something were to happen, I don't know what we would do. I had to go to Urgent Care and spent over $500...and they didn't do any tests or anything...it was just to have a prescription written. Health care is so crazy expensive; it's the reason a lot of people are in debt, and that's just sad.

On a lighter note, I am SO glad you are ok! When your body starts to act not "ok" you know immediately. Thank goodness you went and got some tests done - Billy IS your guardian angel :)

xoxo
Jess

Lauren said...

Soooo glad you're feeling better!!!!!!!!

Lindsay said...

lady! i am SO sorry you have been so sick. i am glad you are on the mend!

Mateya said...

Yikes! GLad everything turned out okay!

Danielle said...

Oh goodness, you poor thing! That is so much, I cant even imagine!! Glad to hear you are doing much better! I can certainly relate to you on the insurance issue, it makes me nervous to not habe insurance right now for this reason!! He is so adorable!

Everyday Adventures said...

Oh my gosh! What a scary couple days!! Glad to hear you are feeling better! Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way to keep you healthy and your hubby and baby as well!

J and A said...

Oh gosh. SO glad you are ok. Sending big hugs. Rest up and relax.

Holly said...

HOw scary but so glad you are ok! Prayers and positive thoughts :)

Nikki said...

Oh Annie Doll! I'm so glad you are finally feeling better. I've been so worried about you. Please continue to get some rest and not be Super mom just yet.

Unknown said...

Wow girl that was a LUCKY one! I've had kidney problems before without knowing it, it's just not something you think of. I was tired and weak and thought I had the flu or a cold. I'm glad everything turned out okay. Insurance is a hard thing to deal with, I was also rejected from a private company due to an abnormal pap (which occured 5 years ago, all have been normal since), because it could lead to serious expenditure by the company (uh hello, that's why people get insurance!). Our world is crazy at times.
XoXo

Hayley said...

I'm so glad you're okay, lady! That's so scary... who knew a little UTI could be so dangerous?!

I really hate that insurance companies can do that... Considering how much a private company charges a little family, they shouldn't be denying you anything! Hopefully your appeal goes well, if not you could try negotiating with the hospital on shaving some of that cost off or putting you on a payment plan.

Good luck :-)

Sara Cate said...

I'm so glad to hear you're getting better. What a whirlwind of a week. How wonderful that your family is such a fantastic and loving support system, especially this week. My thoughts are with you all!

Suzy said...

Oh Annie, that is so scary! I'm happy to hear that you are starting to feel like yourself again.

Don't give up on the pumping/nursing, you can get it back! I got sick after nursing for just 3 months shortly after returning back to work and totally gave up and to this day...I totally regret it. Thankfully, that stash in the freezer is a life saver but watch out - it goes fast!!!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Wow, very scary! Glad you're feeling back to your old self again!!

tara said...

So glad you're ok!! Sounds like a scary experience! :(

Jody said...

oh my goodness! That is scary! I am so glad that you are feeling better and hopefully the doctors call soon and give you a clean bill of health!

PattyAnn said...

I wanted to cry reading this! I know how it feels to be sick and you feel so helpless when you have a little one! I'm glad I could entertain you meanwhile! And SO SO glad you are better!

There's No Place Like Memphis Mama said...

Bless your heart I am glad you are ok! Insurance is a freaking racket no doubt.

ConnieB said...

Oh my goodness how scary! I'm so glad you are okay! I totally know how paying out of pocket stinks- it'll work out!

Allyce said...

Wow, Annie. I am so glad you are okay. What an amazing husband you have to see to it that you got the care you needed. I am so sorry you got denied your insurance--that is ridiculous! Hope you're still getting rest and take care of yourself!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Sorry to hear about all that you went through, but it sounds like you were a champ! I'm glad you are feeling better now! And I bet Cully and Billy are happy too :)

Melissa said...

Girl you were in bad shape!! Glad you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, praying for you! This is a good reminder when I say no to going to the doctor. I can't believe you were denied for an abnormal pap-that happens all the time. UGH! I wanted to let you know your sweet comment made my day today :) I'm glad you are on the mend..and now the best for last-Cullen is soooo cute! What a precious little chub!

Elaine (wouldn't let me post with my goggle account?)

Elaine

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

Oh my word - that's crazy! I'm glad that you are feeling better, and thank goodness you had family there to help you out :-)

C Mae said...

Yikes what a nerve wracking weekend. I'm so glad to hear you are ok...I'm sure you realize how easily things could of gone the other way and you worsened instead of getting better!!!

Insurance is the pits. YOu still pay an arm and a leg even when you do have it!

Unknown said...

Boo! I signed up under your referral but the Erin Condren e-card has sold out! Hopefully they will offer it again soon.

Hilary said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you're okay & feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I'm so behind!

Dang girl, this is scary. Happy to hear things are headed up & not down, also that your are feeling better!

Cullen is absoultely SOOO adorable. I love all your pictures you post on Facebook!

Happy Friday!

Xoxo jess - Stilettos & a fishing pole
www.ardjla.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, glad you are ok. That was serious holy cow! I also get UTI's and don't have the typical symptoms. I get a fever, back pain and feel awful! I hope this is a fluke and you get another one.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my goodness Annie! That is sooo scary! I'm glad you're better!

Meg said...

Oh gosh girl, I am so sorry for you. I can't believe you got this sick, how terrible. I am glad you are doing better, so scary.

LWLH said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds soooo scary.

Sierra said...

Oh girl I am so so sorry that all of this happened to you! So glad you are alright and that they figured out what was wrong. I feel ya on the health insurance. I have it but when I applied for another type I was denied because I was hospitalized last year. They are extrememly picky once you've been in the hospital and I don't think they should be. Everyone needs insurance and especially affordable insurance! hope you feel better even more and keep us all updated! Thinking of you and sending you a bloggy hug.

Blogging tips