Tuesday, November 16, 2010

dinner and dessert....

 Monday nights always seem busy for me,
after a weekend you'd think they would be the opposite.
Last night after work I had to run an errand and grocery shop and then stop over at my parents.
When I got home I knew I wanted to bake some chicken breasts for lunches this week.
I also planned to make two simple dishes, shepherd's pie for dinner and no bake chocolate peanut butter bars for dessert.
I got everything done although it was 9:00 by the time we ate dinner. All worked out perfect, billy had a hockey game to attend and wasn't home until 8:30.  We ate dinner and watched Pawn Stars which is one of our new favorite shows, haha!  Have any of you ever seen it? 
By 10 I was ready for bed and I was out like a light by 10:10.

Here are the recipes, I got both from Kraft:

What You Need:
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups hot mashed potatoes
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
Garlic and Onion powder to taste
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 cup beef gravy
*I substituted light sour cream in place of the cream cheese
*I also chopped up a whole sweet onion

Make It:
Heat oven to 375
Brown meat and onion in large pan
Mix potatoes, 1/2 cup of cheese, garlic and onion powder and sour cream
Combine meat, vegetables and gravy in baking dish
Cover with potato mixture and top with remaining cheese
Bake 20 minutes...
 
What You Need:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups NABISCO Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 cup peanut butter
1-1/2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate (12 squares), melted

Make It:
Line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan.
Melt butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 45 sec.
Add next 3 ingredients; mix well.
Spread into prepared pan; cover with chocolate.
Cut partially through dessert (I did not do this, oops) to mark 48 squares.
Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Use foil handles to remove dessert from pan; cut into squares.
What the finished product should look like...
I added red, green and white sprinkles to our bars...

& after refrigeration, I could NOT cut the bars!!! haha!!
So I just broke off pieces for Billy and I.
I wanted to display the bars all pretty on my Christmas tree platter.
That wasn't going to happen...
They tasted delicious and they were super easy to make! :)

Well it's Tuesday which means my longest day of the week.
I left for work at 7:10 this morning and I won't be back home until at least 10:00 tonight.
I'm babysitting right after work. No complaints from me though, the kids are super cute and easy to watch and the extra money is nice :)

I hope everyone has a great day!!!

33 comments:

Sarah Ann said...

The hubby would just die if I made that Shepherd's pie! I'm going to have to try it out! Thanks for the recipe!

Petchie said...

The peanut butter squares look delicious! I will definitely trying them this weekend. Thank you for the recipe!

Annie said...

Yummm...PB squares!! My hubby always watches Pawn Stars...do you watch American Pickers?! We watch that a lot too...haha!!

Dana said...

Shepards pie...yumm! And the peanut butter bars I have done a few times, mainly around the holidays. Always a HIT!!

Pawn stars is awesome, we actually went to their store when we were down in Vegas in July. Pretty cool!

californiadreamin said...

OOO those chocolate pb bars look amazing!! Thanks for sharing :)

ty said...

I might try to make the shepards pie tonight!

Summer Athena said...

shep's pie freaks me out! lol.

ajs {of MN} said...

yummm.... i think i want to try this tasty shepards pie- perfect for MN weather right now!

capperson said...

Both look so yummy! I made a shepherd's pie one time, but I lost the recipe and can never seem to find the one I used then. I am going to have to try this one :)
And peanut butter and chocolate are two of my favorite things..decisions,decisions..lol

Aleshia said...

I'm making Shepard pie tonight for dinner. Although, I don't do it the same way. I just do hamburger, mashed potatoes, and cheese! Yours looks yummy too! My bf is scared of change though ;-/ So he doesn't want me to make it different! PS: I think yours looks better than mine! haha..

Anonymous said...

mmmm, I have been meaning to make a Shepard's pie for the longest time. I am going to write this one down.

Jon and Steph said...

Oh my GAW, that Shepard's pie looks amazing! I will definitely have to try this recipe sometime. Thanks for sharing!!

Also, my husband loves Pawn Stars! He's been trying to get my to watch it. I guess I should give it a try ;)

{andthisiswhatshesaid} said...

Yum!

Unknown said...

Everything looks yummy & I am now going to have to go to the store for the Shepard's Pie stuff because the baby WANTS IT NOW!!

Marian said...

Um, those peanut butter bars look like pure heaven. I will most definitely be trying to make those!!

Nicole said...

i love kraft's website. it's where i get most my recipes.

Brittany Ann said...

I'm so impressed you can stomach making a sheperd's pie while pregnant. I want to puke just thinking about beef!

Jules said...

yum and yum!
Hilarious, we loove watching Pawn Stars! That along with Swamp People pretty much fill up our DVR and then we spend ALL day catching up.

Sarah said...

Mmm that food sounds yummy! And we LOVE Pawn Stars. I love all the cool stuff people bring in. We used to have this Sunday routine of getting bagels and coffee and watching Pawn Stars. Lol.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Ohhhh that looks good!

Lana said...

I have been an awful blogger friend lately and haven't commented but....I wanted to tell you CONGRATULATIONS on baby! I am soooo excited and can't wait to follow along your pregnancy journey!

Lindsey said...

That ALL looks delish!! Thanks for sharing the recipes!! I could so use some chocolate right now!! ha ha!! Hope you are feeling well!! have a good week hot lil mama!

Becca said...

Oh my gracious! Those are looking so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Brittany said...

I am seriously drooling!

I am now craving those bars.

You'd think "I" was the pregnant woman with how much i've craved peanut butter and chocolate lately! lol

Tatiana said...

Yummo! Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipes :-)

PattyAnn said...

Your recipes look so delish! My hubs is too much of a picky eater to actually make this, but maybe one day for myself. Oh and the dessert looks amazing!

The Undomestic Mom said...

YUM! I need to make both of those asap!

Anonymous said...

Yum thanks for posting the bar recipe!!

chelsea said...

these pics are cruel and unusual punishment. YUM!

drollgirl said...

oh those bars!!! YUM! i wish i was eating them now, but i am printing the recipe NOW!

and congratulations on the baby!!! how exciting!!!!!!

Rissy said...

OMG have you ever seen that Episode of friends where Rachel is making a dessert and accidentally uses some of a 'Shepherds pie" reccipe hahahaha Yours looks delish tho!

Ashley said...

Oh, I have been wanting to make shepherds pie!! I am going to print this recipe. One question- do you make the gravy, or do you buy it made? I dont know how to make it.

LWLH said...

Yummm....two new recipes to try

Blogging tips